The LAMA-WeST lab specializes in all aspects of natural language processing and artificial intelligence, with a special focus on Semantic Web technologies. Semantic Web knowledge bases can represent a large-scale source of knowledge for artificial intelligence models and can be used, among other things, to ensure the validity of information, and the explainability of artificial intelligence models.
Our various research projects tackle challenges related to representation learning, natural language interfaces and question answering, automated reasoning, knowledge base learning and alignment, ontology learning, knowledge engineering and modeling, and information extraction and generation to name a few.
Our lab is funded through government and industry institutions including NSERC, FRQS, SSHRC, IVADO and MITACS. It provides a fertile ground and learning opportunities for students and visiting researchers.
Led by Prof. Amal Zouaq, The LAMA-WeST lab is welcoming new collaborations in the academic and industrial community.
I am looking for strong Masters and PhD students to work in the following areas: natural language processing, machine learning, semantic web, knowledge base extraction, knowledge base completion, query generation, and multi-hop reasoning. Ideally, especially for PhDs, you should be familiar with natural language processing, machine learning and semantic web techniques. You should also have strong Python programming skills.
Women, non binary people and underrepresented minorities are especially encouraged to apply.
If you are interested in working with me, email me with your detailed CV, all the transcript copies, and a summary of your research interests. Your email should have [RESEARCH_APPLICATION_POSTDOC OR PhD OR MASTER] in the subject.
Please note that we will contact only the students whose application matches the requirements / needs of the lab.
Some open research projects are detailed here
I am currently looking for postdocs.
We are looking for strong Ph.D. students. Ph.D. and Masters admissions' deadlines are indicated here: deadlines
Interns and Visiting Students:
I am currently not taking any interns.
- 2022-07-14Two papers accepted at the 22nd International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC)! (See the publications' section)
- 2022-07-06Prof. Amal Zouaq is the new FRQS (dual) chair in AI and Digital Health. We are looking for several graduate students and postdocs.
- 2022-06-06Our NSERC Alliance project on cyber-security (Internal Threat), with Prof Frederic and Nora Cuppens, is starting next Fall. We are looking for several graduate students.
- 2022-10-23Our paper Detecting Languages Unintelligible to Multilingual Models through Local Structure Probes is accepted at EMNLP (Findings) 2022. Congratulations Louis!
- 2022-10-10Our system SEBMatcher participates to the OAEI 2022 competition. Congratulations Francis!
- 2022-09-21Our paper A Copy Mechanism for Handling Out-of-Vocabulary Elements in SPARQL Neural Machine Translation is accepted at AACL 2022. Congratulations Rose and Samuel!
- 2022-09-21Our paper Local Structure Matters Most in Most Languages is accepted at AACL 2022. Congratulations Louis!
- September 28, 2023The LAMA-WeST Seminar Series - TwiRGCN:Temporally Weighted Graph Convolution for Question Answering over Temporal Knowledge GraphsAditya SharmaThu Sep 28 2023 10:30:00 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)M-6007 - Pavillon Lassonde - Polytechnique Montreal